Friday, December 18, 2009

Is it ok to be a tech illiterate teacher?

I love this post and it is a "recommended reading" on my wiki ithsnyclibrary.wikispaces.com.

How can we teach this to kids, how can we model it, if we aren’t literate ourselves?
If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write.
Extreme? Maybe. Your thoughts?
80% of the parent conferences I had with students who were struggling, at least one of the parents would say "I was never any good at math either
I can't imagine a parent saying "Oh, yeah, I never learned how to read"
not knowing math was socially acceptable, not knowing how to read was very unacceptable
I sort of get the same feeling today about technology. It's acceptable to say "I don't really get computers"
I'm not saying that technology is the end all and be all
it's just a tool to help us teach and learn
Technology is the underpinning of just about everything we do today - and especially so in relation to how we communicate with each other
 blog it

No comments:

Post a Comment